Not being able to open the gates for spectators did not dampen the enthusiasm for more than 120 drag racers at New York International Raceway Park (Lancaster Dragway) on the opening night of drag racing. Due to COVID restrictions, the track was unable to open the front gates for spectators or have concessions, but drivers were able to come and enter competition with limited crew.
Friday should have been the sixth night of the points series for the drag racers but the track was just recently granted permission to open the gates on a limited basis. Prior to Friday they had held a Test & Tune day to enable the drivers to get their vehicles ready for the season.
Lucas Salemi, who was the 2019 Bikes and Sleds Champion, moved up to a rear engine dragster and ended up in the Top 8 final his first night of competition. Dave Cleveland took the win after Salemi broke out.
Mike Peters won the first race of the Buffalo Choppers Bikes & Sleds class winning the final round with a motorcycle – snowmobile matchup against Anglo Salemi. Peters has been the class champion 4 of the last 6 years.
In Gianni Mazia Mod, Clay Ricketson took the win against Mark Jaczowski when Jaczowski fouled on the starting line.
The Mallare Trucking Top class winner was Mark Herbold. His opponent, AnnMarie Nugent had a perfect reaction time but Herbold held her off when his car ran a perfect run.
Dan Posluszny took home his first win against Ed Semlitsch in Tread City Tire Street
This Friday June 19 brings Buffalo Street Outlaws to the track along with our weekly race classes. And on Saturday the track will host a stock car practice. These events are still only open to drivers and crew until further notice.
Mallare Trucking TOP
- AnnMarie Nugent W Seneca .5000 RT 5.70 index 5.7268 ET 119.40 mph
- W) Mark Herbold Elma .5200 RT 7.30 Index 7.3000 ET 107.63
Gianni Mazia MOD
- W) Clay Ricketson E Aurora .5071 RT 7.42 index 7.3908 ET 90.53 mph
- Mark Jaczowski N Collins .4939 RT 7.47 index 7.4448 ET 93.95 mph
Tread City Tire STREET
- W) Dan Posluszny W Falls .5431 RT 8.88 index 8.9608 ET 71.44 mph
- Ed Semlitsch W Seneca .6177 RT 8.78 index 8.7874 ET 70.84 mph
Buffalo Chopper Bikes & Sleds
- W) Mike Peters Angola .5141 RT 5.47 index 5.4888 ET 123.64 mph
- Angelo Salemi Wheatfield .5920 RT 6.45 index 6.3040 ET 99.36 mph
- W) Dave Cleveland Holley .5020 RT 5.18 index 5.1919 ET 133.18 mph
- Lucas Salemi Clarence Ctr .5120 RT 5.21 index 5.2088 ET 130.89 mph